Tips for Shopping the After-Christmas Sales
Even if you scooped up some great bargains during the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales this holiday season, there are still a few great deals to be had during after-Christmas sale events. Many retailers and online stores markdown Christmas decorations, gift baskets and other holiday items up to 75% off or more about a week or two after Christmas Day. You can also find some amazing deals and discounts on big-ticket items, clothing, and household goods.
If you’re determined to grab a few more bargains and pick up items that Santa forgot this year, use some of these tips when shopping the after-Christmas sales:
- Swing by the crafts stores for supplies and gift wrap. Even though many big-box retailers will be marking down their gift wrap, boxes, and other gift wrapping supplies, you can find even better deals at the craft store. The after-Christmas sales are the time to stock up and save on holiday-themed tissue paper, gift wrap, baskets, ribbon and tree ornaments.
- Buy gift sets from the department stores. Macy’s, Nordstrom, JCPenney, and Sears are just some department stores that mark down their perfume, cosmetics and toiletries gift sets during the after-Christmas sales. If you’ve had your eye on a particular perfume or cologne set, or just want to give a post-holiday gift to someone you didn’t see over Christmas, pick up a few of these gift sets at 50 to 75% off the regular price. Moreover, look for coupons, deals, and promo codes online and the official website of your favorite stores. This is an easy way with which you can save some money.
- Head to the home goods store for holiday candles and air fresheners. Pumpkin, gingerbread and cinnamon scented candles, air fresheners and potpourri all get a price drop during the after-Christmas sales. Head to stores like Pier 1 Imports, IKEA, Crate and Barrel, and Cost Plus World Market to round up some holiday-scented candles and other items that you can use next year.
- Stock up on baking supplies. Head to your local Walmart Supercenter or SuperTarget to round up holiday-themed cake mixes, hot cocoa mix gift sets, gingerbread houses and cake decorations at a discount. These stores tend to mark down holiday-themed merchandise right after Christmas Day and will continue to mark them down until the inventory is all gone. Monitor the shelves every few days during the after-Christmas sales so that you can get the lowest price on higher-priced items.
- Shop warehouse stores for holiday candy and food. Sam’s Club and Costco are great places to shop for holiday candy, cookie tins, holiday-themed cookie dough, and even gingerbread houses during the after-Christmas sales. Most of these items hit the clearance racks immediately after Christmas so make some space in our pantry and stock up on these otherwise-pricey items. Keep in mind that some types of candy and food, including large bags of chocolate chips, melting chocolate and cookie dough can be used outside of the holiday season.