Are you like me, always wondering what to do with change? I have (well, had) two red solo cups overflowing with change in my underwear drawer. I would just grab any change that I happen to have and throw it in there until I decided what to do with it. When we lived in our old house, I had a big juice jug half full of change and random other monies sitting in the top of our closet, until that ill fated day when we were robbed. During the burglary the robber left a wad of cash that was on the cupboard, but he found and took our jar full of change and I was really sad about it. It had been our intention to add that to the boys’ savings or to use it for a vacation or something one day and that was all lost that day.
When all of our change was stolen I realized that I should have traded it in, you just never know what is going to happen in your house and that is money that is just sitting out waiting to be taken!
Enter Coinstar. This beautiful green machine that stands in the front of 19,000 retailers is an easy-to-use money counting kiosk. Coinstar solves the problem of what to do with change by turning loose change into vouchers. You can redeem coins and cash for eCertificates for retailers like Amazon, Old Navy, Toys “R” Us, Starbucks, Nike and Southwest Airlines, without an additional fee. So this solves the problem of having to pay to turn your change into money you can carry around with you.
This holiday season most of us are trying to stretch our budget, and believe it or not, those two cups of change in my drawer helped me to do that! I looked at those cups of change and thought surely we had around $75 total. I took it in to my local Coinstar and ended up with an Amazon certificate that was worth $99 using the coin-to-cash no fee eCertificate option! I really wouldn’t have thought that there was nearly $100 in there!
How to stretch your holiday budget
- Use Amazon so that you can get your Amazon Prime shipping free, it only takes 2 days so all of your gifts are sure to be on time.
- Find every penny under every couch cushion and take them to Coinstar to get a no fee eCertificate to your favorite retailers.
- Make a list of gifts that you want to buy, or people that you want to buy for and how much you are able to spend on each. Stick to it!
- Check around to find the best price for the product.
- Donate to charity in the name of your loved one (you can do that directly through Coinstar too!)
- Remember that the holidays aren’t about things you find in a store, do more with your family, make memories that will last far longer than toys and clothes.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by Coinstar. This is a sponsored post, but the opinions above are 100% my own and were not influenced in any way.