I was looking for something that feels like summer meets fall… you know, that time where you are just ready for the seasons to change but they haven’t yet? Peaches remind me of summer meets fall, so I made this amazing dessert. This is not super sweet either, which is nice.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 (3 ounce) packages of non-instant vanilla pudding
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 (29oz) cans of sliced peaches
- 2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 6 tablespoons of reserved peach juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13 cake pan
2. Pour your peaches into a strainer (reserving some of the juice, I put my strainer on top of a mixing bowl) and make sure that they are drained really well. If they are too wet the “cake” part will not cook properly.
3. In a medium mixing bowl (or your stand mixer bowl) combine flour, salt, baking powder, vanilla pudding mix (do NOT prepare the pudding), butter, eggs and milk. Beat on medium for 1-2 minutes.
4. Pour the flour mixture into the cake pan and put it in the oven for about 5 minutes, just to help it firm up a little tiny bit. (not more than 5 minutes, you don’t want it to be dry)
5. Place the peaches on top of the cake, they may sink down and that is ok.
6. In a medium mixing bowl beat both packages of cream cheese until smooth. Add the brown and white sugar and reserved peach juice and cream together for about 2 minutes.
7. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the peaches, spreading evenly.
8. Mix together the brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle it over the top. It may seem like a lot but it really does work out.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes
10. After it cools, place it in the fridge to chill for a bit and to help the cream cheese topping firm up a bit.